Thursday 12 July 2012

bullying


I have spent quite a lot of time recently looking at schools for my girls. Without a doubt the most popular question from parents has "What's your bullying policy?" A valid question but I wonder how much more needs to be done at home?

Recently I was bullied. By grown women. In a public place. Unbelievable isn't it!

I attend a gym regularly and for the past 6 months have been going to the same gym class, frequented by the same people. I always arrive early as I come straight from kinder drop off, so I set up my equipment in the same spot. After 6 months of doing this I am approached by the gym instructor asking me if "I'm trying to make a statement by putting my stuff there" I wasn't quite sure what she was referring to. She proceeded to tell me that there was a group of women in the class that were very intimidating and that's where they liked to do the class from. That they in the past has caused trouble with anyone that puts there gear there. I almost started to laugh. Seriously are we in year 8?

No she was serious. It was at that point I realised that this was a form of bullying and although on this occasion they had decided not to confront me personally but get their gym instructor friend to help them out. I couldn't quite believe it. I informed the instructor I would be making a complaint about her and that I would not be moving my equipment and if anyone had an issue with this they could speak to me directly.

It got me thinking though... what sort of little bitches will these women be raising? And what will happen to the people they bully who unlike me may not have the confidence to stand up for themselves?

2 comments:

  1. That is seriously revolting Shan! Who are these women, do they seriously have nothing better to do than intimidate other women in a gym class. They are the kind of people that I steer clear from. What sad lives they must have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you freaking serious? Grown women! In a gym. Over a spot on the floor. Oh boy. So glad you didn't back down.

    I never thought about the bullying issue with my son starting school this year. There are sooooo many things to worry about this is just another question in the bunch. I believe that the school and the parents need to take responsibility. Sure when he is at school, I expect them to manage the situation but I need to be advise if he is a victim of bullying or worse, if he is a bullier (I could never imagine it, he is too busy with his friends all claiming 'you are my true love'!!).

    Bullying is such an important issue right now. Just like anorexia was, just like AIDS was. To make a difference, we need to all work together. Corny? Probably but my opinion.

    Thanks for coming out Shan xxx

    ReplyDelete